The Hut was built in 1916 during World War 1 at Eastriggs, near Gretna.
In 1915 the newly founded Ministry on Munitions created a huge new cordite (also known as Devil's Porridge) factory covering 9 miles between Eastriggs and Gretna, called H M Factory Gretna. 30,000 people from all over the Commonwealth were brought in to the factory and lived in specially designed wooden housing.
The Wooden Hut at Brampton Community Centre was the munition workers' gym and 2 of the small rooms were designated changing rooms, one for men, one for women. In 1918, when the war ended, the army auctioned off suplus assets and the gym was bought by The White House Grammar School.
The school used The Hut as a gym and assembly hall and then later, when it became William Howard School, as woodwork, art and technology rooms.
William Howard left the site in 1987. Brampton and Beyond Community Trust now run the site, including The Hut, as Brampton Coommunity Centre.
The Hut has 2 main rooms, one of which is a fully equipped woodwork room and the other a large op[en space mainly used for art, craft and music workshops. A varied programme of workshops and courses are advertised in the What's On at The Hut brochure. Local groups, such as Knit and Knatter, Brampton Arts and Crafts Club and The Brampton Woodworkers Club, meet regularly at The Hut.
The Hut is a wonderful space with high ceilings, light airy rooms and a sprung beechwood floor. It is available for hire.
You can see the current brochure and find out more about The Hut on: http://www.bramptoncommunitycentre.org.uk/arts__crafts_-_the_hut.aspx